Men’s 2nd XI Crowned Champions Despite Draw

by: admin


The Mens 2nd XI could only muster a 3-3 draw away to a very strong Salisbury but were still crowned leage champions, with a game to spare, as Trojans failed to win at home against Lavant. Having started almost 15 minutes late due to issues with the ferries the Island took their time to get into the game after Salisbury had the better of the early exchanges. However, Johnny Kirby scored first before being swiftly followed by Joe Arnold, who’s deft touch past the keeper extended the Island’s lead. In between the two goals, captain Mike Dodds came very close from a short corner but his flick came back off the cross bar and out of danger. Unfortunately poor passing was to be the team’s undoing, and from one of these Salisbury counter attacked at pace and pulled a goal back just before half time. Early in the second half Salisbuy had an equaliser and this was swiftly followed by a third after the Island failed to clear their lines. However, the team were determined to get back into it and with 10 minutes remaining Carl Joyce scored to make it 3-3 and set up a barnstorming finish. With the clock running down the Island should have been awarded a short corner but instead found themselves facing a knock out blow as Salisbury were awarded a penalty stroke. Lewis Wells in goal had other ideas and, although the flick was weak, Lewis was more than equal to it as he batted it away. Wightlink Man of the Match was Joe Arnold after an all-action display and a goal. The team now play Poole Dolphins, away, in their final fixture of this league as they hope to sign off in style.

The Ladies 1st XI battled the elements as well as opposition but in the end ran out comfortable 3-0 winners at home to Haslemere 2nd XI. After an even start Wightlink Man of the Match Emily Lord was in the right place at the right time to capitalise on a rebound from a short corner to put the Island 1-0 up. After a stern half time team talk the team came out with renewed zest and vigour and dominated the 2nd half. Harriet Mack finished off a great move involving captain Katy Ednay to increase the lead before Emily Lord won the Island a penalty stroke after being upended by the keeper. Kirsty Fraser made no mistake from the spot to put the Island 3-0 up and although Haslemere forced a superb double save from keeper Mackenzie Wright and the follow up open goal shot saved on the line by Jaimie Lee the team managed to see out the rest of the match with no further goals. Next week in the league the team have a double header away from home as they face Romsey 2nd XI on Saturday before travelling up the M3 to face Basingstoke 3rd XI on Sunday as they look to ensure a top four finish to the leage.

The Ladies 3rd XI played out a very entertaining 2-2 draw against Haslemere. Lola Marfleet was provider for the Island’s first goal with Poppy Gallerwood finishing, before turning goalscorer herself to retake the lead after Haslemere equalised. The second half provded difficult for the island, especially playing into the wind, however chances fell to both sides without a goal for much of the half, before a break down from an Island long corner led to a counter attack and goal for Haslemere to level the scores for a second time. A fantastic performance overall from the team, which bodes very well for next season as the team gets stronger.